September 19, 2010

Jalanthar reloaded

As anticipated, I am completely redoing my first area, the town of Jalanthar. I have long considered scraping it and starting all over, because it was too big (24x24), sparse and naif to say the least.

However, too much work had already gone into it, so I decided to keep the basic structure, a hamlet guarded by a semicircular fence and by the mountain slopes, and just redo the textures, fill the gaps and add placeables and vegetation. There is still a long way to go.

Here are some WIP screens, especially of the druid glen, which was originally done mainly with the colour tool and now is textured and populated with plants (which makes, in my opinion, the nearby bee-hives more realistic).

Unfortunately Taanyt Varde, Jalanthar's druid, is missing. Just when the town is struck by the restless orcs dwelling in the Nether Mountains in an attack much more violent than the usual skirmishes. Oh well, when wanderlust calls...


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful lighting and nice soft transitions between the road and the grass. The area seems more alive now. I especially love the last image with the cherry trees and the butterfly you captured. It makes me long for the spring when I'll plant three IRL cheery trees in our garden. Keep up the good pace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I expanded the game hours when it is dawn and sunset, IMHO in NWN2 night lasts excessively long.

    Why do you wait spring to plant the trees? I thought autumn was the perfect timing for plants to stabilize in the new location. But perhaps only in the south of Europe... I have a lemon and a olive tree on my terrace, and a couple subtropical plants! :-)

    In fact, the area I am most looking forward to do in LOL is a garden! My only regret is that flowered plants models are limited and particularly that there are no roses in the toolset!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, here in the mid-parts of Sweden we will have frosty nights any day now and soon the ground will be frozen until April (sometimes May). We can grow smaller olive, lemon and orange trees here too but this time of the year they have to be moved indoors. '

    I agree, it's very odd that there are no rose-plants/bushes in the toolset as they so often are told about in old tales and stories. The custom content community isn't really into making new flowers, trees and plants, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man, seriously. That stuff is so beautiful. Would love to look around your world!

    ___
    call New Zealand

    ReplyDelete